February 25, 2012

Toimato-mayo-bacon (sans bread; sigh) with an over easy egg for breakfast.

It has been an exceptionally stressful and busy two weeks. My work world always goes in cycles — I’ll be frantically busy for a while, then I’ll have a stretch where I’ll spend a few days playing computer games or organizing files or working on “one of these days when it’s slow” projects.

It seems that I’ve been at the top of the frantically busy cycle for the last three or four weeks. Picture yourself on a surfboard, balanced on top of a wave, and you’re riding the wave and waiting for it to break….and riding the wave and waiting for it to bread…and riding…. Well, you get my drift.

Add that to the stress of having a bipolar teen-ager who’s in an extended period of exaggerated mood swings.

Add to that working until 7 p.m. about three nights this past week.

OK, I’m through whining. Because,while I did bring home some work stuff to do this weekend, I spent last night in total silence, without any human interaction, for two hours, albeit I had to stay up until midnight to do it. It’s going to be a gorgeous weekend, I’m cooking, and tomorow I’m going to take Lucy Lu out for an extended walk while my rendang simmers away in the crock pot.

Oh, and I got my nails done yesterday. That always makes me feel better.

I’m cooking a pot roast for a co-worker who recently had a baby. I cooked breakfast, albeit it was at noon, because I slept until 8 a.m., which is almost unheard of for me. I’m going to roast her some broccoli to go with it, and maybe even make her some bread. I’m going to grill burgers tonight, because it’s so nice out and the grill is crying to be used.

All may not be right with the world, but it’s getting that way.

Sous vide ribs. These were some tender babies, I tell ya.

The only thing I cooked this week were some sous vide ribs. They were good, but next time I’ll not SV them quite so long or at such a temp (150 F, which is what they tell you to do for pork), and I’ll finish them on the grill instead of under the broiler. They needed to sweat off some of the fat, which had been retained in the meat.

All I did was rub them down with my dry rub, seal them up, and SV them for 48 hours at 150. Took ’em out, ran them under the broiler for 5 minutes on a side. I think 24 hours would’ve done fine, and I might even lower the temp in order to let them get a little done-er on the grill and sweat out more of the fat. But I am here to tell you….those were the most tender, porkiest ribs I believe I’ve ever had.

I broke down and ordered a sous vide cookbook today; two of ’em, in fact, one of which will go on my iPad.

Anyway, we’re cooking again, which has to be a Good Thing. You and y’mama ‘n ’em come on over and have a burger on the grill.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: